Love Collie

Heritage and history

Even though Collie has a relatively short history, declared a townsite in 1896, the town is proud of it’s old buildings and historical collections which reflect the importance of the early years of timber milling, railways and coal mining..

Bill Weir Rolling Stock Shed

The Bill Weir Rolling Stock Shed, located next to the Goods Shed, houses many wagons that are being restored by some very enthusiastic volunteers from the Collie Heritage Group. The sheds form part of the “Working Life Trail” and are open Monday, Wednesday and Friday 9am – 1pm. You may like to wander through the…

Find out more

Memorial Coal Arch

The old coal arch was relocated from Western No.1 underground mine entrance in 1999 and is one of the few surviving examples of a mine entrance on the Collie coalfields. The coal skip is a replica erected in 1994 to recognise the contribution underground miners made towards Collie and the State from 1890 to the…

Find out more

Coalfields Museum & Historical Research Centre

The Coalfields Museum provides a unique glimpse into Collie’s early days. The museum is housed in the historic buildings of the 1900 and 1930 Road Board offices. Taking pride of place is a restored barrel organ made in Italy. The organ is a forerunner of a jukebox and was used to entertain the old timers…

Find out more

Co-op Bridge

This is the only remaining bridge crossing from the very early days of Collie. Construction of the original bridge commenced on this site in 1900 and was replaced in 1967 with assistance from the Collie Co-operative Store (following it’s financial record year of 1966). Floods have been a regular occurence – in 1915, 1926 and…

Find out more

Old Goods Shed

Designed by C Y O’Connor and built in 1898, the shed has recently been restored by the Collie Heritage & Menshed Group and is also used for markets on alternate Sunday mornings. Check the events calendar for markets dates. The Coach Café is open markets mornings where you can enjoy Devonshire tea, coffee and toasties.…

Find out more

Replica Coal Mine

The mine was constructed in 1983 by the Collie Rotary Club to commemorate the centenary of the discovery of coal. One of three very knowledgeable volunteers will take you through the mine and provide an insight into the mining industry and the working conditions of the early underground miners. All three are retired miners who…

Find out more

St Brigid’s Roman Catholic Church

Built on the site of the original old wooden church in 1935 in gothic style , St Brigids is a place of worship for many Collie residents. The Church features a gallery above the western entrance giving views of many of the 28 stunning leadlight windows. The noiseless main aisle is constructed in such a…

Find out more

Old Police Station

The old Police Station was built around 1926 of white rendered brick. A previous wooden building was thought to have been built on the site in 1899, by W.C Rose. In 1900 the stables were built, and in 1908 the Constables quarters were built. (The stables and the Constable Quarters have since been demolished). Currently…

Find out more

Old Collie Post Office

The striking arches of the old Collie Post Office are typical of early Post Office architecture. Being a significant land mark in the town, it also became a focal point for local people. A building was on this site from 1898, with the current brick building being designed and built in 1905 by Hillson Beasley,…

Find out more

Collie Mine Worker’s Institute

The Miners Institute, as it is known by the locals, was built in 1953 and is a prominent example of the International Modern Style linked to the Art Deco period. The hall can be hired and is used for many functions including weddings, concerts and the Collie Pensioner’s annual Christmas party.

Find out more

Collie Central Precinct Walk

This delightful 2km walk around the Collie CBD offers a glimpse into Collie’s past whilst celebrating many of the modern new facilities in the town. Pick up a leaflet from the Collie Visitor Centre and set off for a meander through past and present.

Find out more

Dr Alexander Collie Memorial

Established to recognise Dr Alexander Collie who arrived in Fremantle on the 8th June 1829, as Lieutenant Surgeon appointed to HMS Sulpher with the party led by Captain Stirling. Accompanied by Lt Preston in November 1829 Dr Collie discovered and named the Collie and Preston Rivers.

Find out more

Old Railway Station

The original station was demolished in the 1970’s and was rebuilt and opened in 2004 by the Collie Railway Station Group. The building displays information on the history of the railways which was a vital part in the development of Collie. Light lunches, morning and afternoon teas are available in the café. Souvenirs for sale…

Find out more

St David’s Catholic Church

The historic St David’s Catholic Church, built in the early 1900’s, is situated in the old townsite of Worsley. The old timber Church is one of only two original buildings remaining in the once thriving timber town. The building houses a collection of photographs of the town and the people who once lived there. The…

Find out more

All Saints Anglican Church

Built in the Norman design of the early Italian churches. The interior of the church includes a beautiful mural by artist Philip Goatcher, extensive use of local jarrah timbers and lovely stained glass windows. The colourful mural depicts thirty individuals, including the Madonna, religious figures, historians, pastoralists, coalminers and aborigines. The wooden pipe organ was…

Find out more

Courthouse

Built in 1913 in Federation Free Style architecture, the Collie Court House is a single storey red brick building clad with a Marseilles tiled roof. The street facade is adorned with an embossed coat of arms flanked by decorated arches leading to the entry porch. It is still used as a courthouse today.

Find out more

[landing-page-blocks category=”Heritage and history”]